• Welcome to SQLitening Support Forum.

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Main Menu

SQLite question

Started by Marc Van Cauwenberghe, October 03, 2007, 01:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Hi,

I recently ran into some problems using access and SQL Tools (NOT THAT IS WAS SQLTOOLS fault). It is not solved yet and it has got me in some serious trouble. The use of my program needed administrator rights >:(!!!

OK, sorry about that.  My question.
Will the use of SQLite solve my problems. I mean, does it need the registry, has it got other dependencies, etc, etc, etc...?

Marc

Paul Squires

Quote from: Marc Van Cauwenberghe on October 03, 2007, 01:03:12 PM
Hi,

I recently ran into some problems using access and SQL Tools (NOT THAT IS WAS SQLTOOLS fault). It is not solved yet and it has got me in some serious trouble. The use of my program needed administrator rights >:(!!!

OK, sorry about that.  My question.
Will the use of SQLite solve my problems. I mean, does it need the registry, has it got other dependencies, etc, etc, etc...?

Marc
Hi Marc,

The whole goal of SQLite (and our client/server project) is so that you simply need to copy the files to a directory and run.... nothing more should be needed. I know that none of my code makes any specific calls to the Registry or system INI files, etc...

All of the DLLs are standard Windows DLL (not ActiveX stuff) so they do not require any special registration (i.e. regsvr32).

Paul Squires <br />http://www.planetsquires.com<br />support@planetsquires.com

Paul Squires

The SQLite DLL is only 350K and only depends on KERNEL32.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL (both of which are present on all Windows systems these days).
Paul Squires <br />http://www.planetsquires.com<br />support@planetsquires.com

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Thank you Paul,

That is the way to go then.
The problem is the I thought that using something like the SQL Tools dll (ODBC) and connecting to an access database would also not give me any problems. I was proven terribly wrong and to be honest I have not been able to get an answer to my question if it is at all possible to make an ODBC connection to a database without some interaction with the registry.

Regards,
Marc

James Klutho

I believe ODBC does require registery access.  If a system is locked down tight (like it is where I work), your program has to be installed by an administrator.  Probably DAO and ADO will be the same story.

Michael Sydenham

I believe it's possible using a 'DSN-less connection' (google it). It's also possible to setup the odbc connection without having the user do it manually by programmatically setting up the relevant registry keys.

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Bit late to reply,

thanks for the input. Still have not found an exact explanation, but I will go for SQLite next time.

Marc