• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

May 11, 2021, 08:08:01 PM

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Who is using SQLite3 Client/Server... anyone??

Started by Paul Squires, April 16, 2008, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeByrne

June 24, 2008, 06:29:02 PM #15 Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:45:18 PM by JoeByrne
Paul,

Having finished a custom version of my shuttle scheduling software, I began modifying it for general (wide) use.  While I've been happy overall with Tsunami, I felt it was important to use something more "standard".  After playing around with SQLite C/S, I've decided that this is my new DB for the project.  I've been playing with it across a 512k Internet connection and the performance is excellent!

My average customer will have about 25 concurrent users accessing about 30 tables from the main screen.  90% of the time they will be in 'lookup mode'.  Preliminary testing seems to indicate that SQLite C/S will work just fine.

One thing I really need, so I am going to work on this first, is to have the server run as a Windows service and to have a secured administrative panel to create/change users, passwords, etc.  The service part isn't terribly difficult nor time consuming.  The Admin panel shouldn't be too hard to do, but will take more time.  I'll post my service mods as I get it working.

---ADDED---
Ok, I see I should have read through the forum more :)  There appears to be a service version coming, and I noticed an SQL-Admin program included with the Cheetah conversion toolbox.  I'll assume that I am re-inventing the wheel then, and back-burner these items for now. :)

Paul Squires

Hi Joe,

If you've been successful with the current code base then the new code base should prove to be even better. It is faster in just about every single area. It is already designed to work as a Service and can be installed/uninstalled and started/stopped very easily. Fred has built a "file access table" configuration file that the server reads on startup. It is in this file that passwords are set for each SQLite3 database. Entire databases are password protected rather than individual tables. Your user would send the password to the server during the slOpen function. Because the passwords are in a simple ini text file, it is very easy to modify. No overblown GUI application is needed - just a simple text editor will do the job just nicely.

I find SQLite3 to be an incredible database system. It is very fast and very robost.

Myself and Fred have a couple of things to clue up before the first upload is made. Just need to polish up the documentation (as scant as it is right now!) and create a few more example programs.

JoeByrne

Paul,

Sounds great!  Anything you might need help with, just let me know.  I do have a tad bit of writing (documentation) expertise :)

Paul Squires

Quote from: JoeByrne on June 25, 2008, 01:12:25 AM
Sounds great!  Anything you might need help with, just let me know.  I do have a tad bit of writing (documentation) expertise :)
I may very well take you up on that! :)  I find writing documentation very tedious especially given the small amount of time I have these days for programming in general. I do have the Help topics file outlined but need to put some meat on most of the topics. I think that for the first upload I will concentrate mainly on providing basic syntax for the built-in commands, a simple "Getting Started" or "Step-by-Step" to get people up to speed quickly, and a couple of PowerBASIC example programs. The rest of the documentation will follow over time as the project matures.

JoeByrne

Paul,

I've been away from coding for a few days, but should be getting back into the swing of things here again soon.  I was fooling around with SQLTools, MySQL (server) and PHP recently and have a somewhat better feel for the whole "SQL line of thinking".  I've been making some notes as I go too.  When I get enough notes together to form something coherent, I'll pass them along to you :)

Paul Squires

I was wondering.... should I start a wiki or something so anyone can add documentation on-line?

JoeByrne

Quote from: TechSupport on July 12, 2008, 06:59:20 PM
I was wondering.... should I start a wiki or something so anyone can add documentation on-line?
Paul, IMO, nothing beats having docs locally BUT I like the idea of community involvement too.  I would definitely support a WIKI concept, but in addition, I'd like to (help) develop a good documentation file simultaneously.

Eros Olmi

I will start to work with SQLitening and see what is the best way to implement it in thinBasic programming language.

If I will accomplish it (I see no tech reasons why not) merit and notice of the original work will be clearly stated in thinBasic help material.

On documentation, I'm with Joe. " ... nothing beats having docs locally ..."
Plus this forum, it seems a perfect mix.

Thanks a lot
Eros
community.thinbasic.comthinbasic Help
WinXP Pro SP3 - Centrino Core 2 2GHz - 2Gb Ram - Ati Radeon Mobility X1600 512Mb

Paul Squires

That is excellent Eros! The more people that get interested in SQLitening, the better! Fred will be very happy that the code is getting good use.