• Welcome to SQLitening Support Forum.

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Main Menu

An Unofficial SQLitening Web Site

Started by JoeByrne, September 19, 2008, 01:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeByrne

I have been keeping notes and writing my own documentation (with the intent of publishing it for all) for a little while now.  Paul had mentioned the idea of creating a Wiki for documentation which sounded like a good idea to me.  So.......

I decided to create an 'unofficial' SQLitening web site.  I don't want to  compete with the discussions here in anyway, but I wanted a site that would allow me to build a documentation platform easily.  The site is: www.SQLitening.com with the primary purpose of being the "SQLitening Documentation Project".  I did install a forum along with the Wiki, but I did so mainly because forums are rather 'standard' affair for web sites.  Feel free to post there if you like, but for at least the time being, I consider this site to be the primary discussion. 

Of course, if Paul (or Fred) would prefer to move these discussions and/or the downloading to SQLitening.com, I would be more than happy to do that.

If anyone would like access to add/modify the pages on the Wiki, please drop me an email and I will create an account for you.  I would be most appreciative for any and all help, but I didn't want to leave the Wiki wide open for just anyone to modify.

Of course, all comments welcome.

Paul Squires

Thanks Joe, sounds like a great place for SQLitening users to acquire all of the info they need to get up and running quickly. A central place for documentation is quickly becoming a priority so I applaude your efforts to kick start that. I will drop the wiki from my site that I was toying with. At least that will be one less thing that I would have to maintain. The more people that we can get involved in SQLitening the better. It will be easier to enhance the project if more and more people can add a little bit of their time and experience to the project rather than keep the burden only a few people.

My thoughts would be to eventually migrate everything to your server if Fred is okay with that. You are a very reputable fellow so we can be assured that SQLitening will have a nice home with a dedicated URL.  :)

Cool!
Paul Squires <br />http://www.planetsquires.com<br />support@planetsquires.com

JoeByrne

Thanks Paul.

I greatly appreciate what you and Fred have done.  I avoided SQL for quite awhile because of the sometimes complex setup of a server, etc. Now with SQLite and a direct command set for PB, I can't imagine going back to anything else for the database.  Fred's code is exceptional but unfortunately, I haven't really made any effort to get in there and learn it yet.  I felt that I could contribute best by working on some documentation and if it helps to host a community area for SQLitening, I'm more than happy to oblige.

I agree with you about trying to get more people involved.  Hopefully the passion I've seen from the few people working on this so far will rub off on others!

Marc Giao

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your contribution, nice site.

You may want to change the following:
"...SQLitening is written using the PowerBasic programming language by Fred Meier and supported by Paul Squires PlanetSquires.com"

To:
"...SQLitening is written by Fred Meier using the PowerBasic programming language and supported by Paul Squires PlanetSquires.com

Otherwise it reads as if Fred is the author of PowerBasic.

All the best,

Marc

JoeByrne

JoeByrne

I've spent more than a few hours adding content to the SQLitening Documentation Project pages  Some of the text is simple modifications of what Fred already has supplied, but I did add a few pages discussing some theory and 'how-to'.

I would be very appreciative for any comments about the content, and the style.  For the style, I'm specifically thinking of how I've formatted the individual command descriptions.  Is this logical?  Is more needed?  It is too much information?

Of course proof-reading for any technical, spelling, and/or grammar mistakes is also much appreciated.