• Welcome to SQLitening Support Forum.

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Main Menu

Can not connect

Started by Marc Van Cauwenberghe, January 07, 2009, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Hello,

Got a problem with setting up a client-server program I made.
I works great at home, but I can't get it to work at the customer.
I get
"... Unexpected message..."
"-16 Can not Connect"
"Statement = Connect -- Server=10.0.0.189 Port = 51234"

I can ping to the 'server' pc
I have a shared folder on the 'server' pc where I start the client program.

Can anyone tell me how to start to figuring oput what is wrong?

Marc

Fred Meier

1.Check the log.
2.Is the port open or is a firewall blocking? 
   Use a port checker (run at server) such as http://www.canyouseeme.org/
   Use a port scanner (run at client) such as  http://www.radmin.com/products/utilities/portscanner.php

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Thank you Fred,

I think it has something to do with that.
I do not know a lot about port etc... so this is very strange for me. When I run the port scanner on my PC it says ports 466 to 65635 are closed. This is also true for my pc that has the service running. If this is so how do I communicate then? I must note that my server pc is a real SBS server.

Marc

Fred Meier

Someone with network experience will have to jump in, not my strong area.

D. Wilson

When I was getting started I had the same issues. I had a problem in the config file. I believe the config file had to have the ip address of the host computer. I would also make sure the server is running. I had an issue with one of my test machines -- The computer had a 'manual' connection to the internet. If the server could not detect a valid internet connection it would not start. This mainly had to do with the service starting.

This has been my experience with SQLitening. Once I figured out these issues I have had very few issues. And I have moved the server to several different systems.

Rolf Brandt

Hello Marc,

in the config file on the server you have to tell SQLitening the local IP adresses under Hosts. Here is an example that works on my network:

Hosts = LocalHost, 192.168.178.25, 192.168.178.27
(These IP adresses are the IP's of the server, not the client!!! In my case 25 is the LAN connection, 27 the WLAN connection.)

On the client machine you would connect with this command:
slConnect "192.168.178.25"

(No need to set the port if you use the standard port.)

Works perfect here and is as the name implies "litening fast".

Rolf
I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food.
www.rbsoft.eu

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

A thanks to everyone.

Unfortunately nothing helped  :'( :( >:( :( :'(.
I also noticed the crossloop did not work. Crossloop is a software program to take over a pc via internet. There must be something blocking a lot of things.
I looked at the router but the firewall was disabled, so that can"t be the problem.

I really need to install the program. Since it will only be used by 3 people at the same time I wonder I could (for now) just use the local version.
What do you guys think. And if so do I have to consider something special.

Marc

JoeByrne

Marc,

SBS has a software firewall that is on by default.  You will need to open the port on the SBS server.  Personally, I won't touch that O/S so I can't give you a step-by-step, but it shouldn't be to hard to do.  Perhaps a google search will give you more details on 'how to'.

Once you have the SBS firewall configured to allow traffic (TCP is all you need, not UDP) on that port, you'll be fine with SQLitening in server mode.

The other option, although not nearly as robust, would be to place the SQLite database in a shared folder on your SBS server.  You can 'open' it from either a UNC (\\servername\sharedfolder\mydatabase.db3) or from a drive letter mapped to the shared folder.  Personally, I'd open the firewall ports and run it as a server, but as long as the clients have a shared connection to the database, you can use it that way too.

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Hello Joe,

Thank you, but I think I have not fully explained the problem.
I personally have a Small Business Server at home. I have no problem what so ever at home. I run the application with a SQLithening database in server mode.
I was however surprised that using software that could tell which port was open told me that port 466 to 65635 was closed and still I had no problem using SQLithening as a server at home.
The client has no real server, just some PC's networked together with a hub an a router. I wanted to run the application in SQLithening server mode and that is where I get the problems.

The other option you tell about is probably the non-server mode that can be used?

Marc

JoeByrne

Marc,

Ok, it sounds more like a configuration error or an IP issue.  Couple of things.

(1) In order to run in server mode, the 'server' PC has to have a static (non-changing) IP address.  If you're not sure how to test for this, let me know.
(2) Drop to a command prompt on any one of the PCs and type:  Net view
(3) If you can't see any other PCs then you have a networking issue that will be a show stopper until you get that fixed
(4) If you CAN see the server PC (specifically) type in PING and the 'server PCs' name as it is listed
     - If the networking is ok, then you'll see the 'server PCs' IP address.  Make sure your config file and the slConnect statement use this address
(5) If you don't get a reply from the PING, then you have something else blocking the flow of traffic and you'll need to resolve that first.

As for 'shared' mode:  You can put the database in a folder on any one of the PCs and then share that folder.  Assuming the shared folder is accessible by the other PCs, you can simply access the database as if it were local (no need for the server nor to do an slConnect).  On a small network this is probably fine.  I do this for customer's that don't have a dedicated Server O/S anywhere on the network and I've not run into any real issues (except when 'susie', who's PC has the database on it, shuts it down and then calls in sick the next day :D)

If you have a networking problem though, you probably won't be able to access the shared folders either.  I suspect however, that its just a matter of getting the proper IP addressing down.

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

Thanks Joe,

I'll check everything tomorrow. The 2 PC's in question are given a static IP address and I can ping them, but I'll check again. I'll go there again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Marc