• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

September 17, 2019, 11:04:56 am

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Practical use of SQLITENING on a WINDOWS WORKGROUP network

Started by John Lever, December 07, 2009, 07:33:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lever

Dear All,

I have been developing and testing applications in REMOTE mode but using LOCALHOST on a single PC.

To migrate to using a WINDOWS WORKGROUP network I am considering the various options and this has raised some questions as to the 'best' way to proceed - I will list what I think are the ways forward - if anyone can see any pitfalls or failures in my logic I would appreciate any helpful responses.

1. The easiest way of setting up a WINDOWS WORKGROUP network is to just setup a network share folder - if I run the SQLITENING SERVER in this folder - then it looks as though I can just run any application using SQLITENING on any PC on the network and still use LOCALHOST to connect (via a slConnect ) . This will work because  SQLITENING will see the NETWORK SHARE folder as part of the LOCALHOST (or have I got this wrong ?) .
On the other hand does running SQLITENING SERVER in the 'network share' folder slow down the working of the sqlitening/sqlite remote operations (it does seem to get more of WINDOWS networking involved in the processing?) ? Are there other problems here I have not even thought of ?

2. If a WINDOWS WORKGROUP network is setup and any network share folder is setup - then the name of the computer on which the share folder was created seems to be visible across all the computers connected on the network. If SQLITENING-SERVER/SQLITE is run anywhere (not covered by 1. above) on the computer on which the 'network share' folder was created then we should be able to connect to a SQLITENING-SERVER/SQLITE database from another computer on the network  by using slConnect with the name of the computer on which the 'network share' was created. Is this the preferred route (most efficient) of setting up SQLITENING/SQLITE (seems to not get so much of WINDOWS networking involved) - are there any problems I should be aware of  ?

At present I am still using WINDOWS XP (still nervous about jumping to later versions of WINDOWS). Are there any other considerations I should keep in mind when I do eventually switch over to WINDOWS 7 (or less likely VISTA) eg security problems etc. ?

Best Regards,
John Lever

Rolf Brandt

December 07, 2009, 09:02:24 am #1 Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:05:07 am by Rolf Brandt
Hello John,

I think using a shared folder or mapping a drive has been discussed before in this forum. About performance gains Fred probably would be the best source of information.

I wouldn't use a shared folder for security reasons. Besides speed a major reason for using a client / server database is that the datase files cannot be accessed (deleted etc.) by any user. The performance of SQLitening is anyway very good.

Also think that you have several options what to use as IP address, you can use:
- the numerical ip address, like 192.168.11.22
- the computer name, like "MyServer"
- the static ip adress of a router, like "mystaticip.no-ip.org"

I personally use in my network always the static ip address. That means it doesn't matter if I connect to the server via cable, WLAN, or an internet connection. I can always use the same ip address. And the database files itself are never visible to anybody.

About the newer OS versions - I have in my network a mixture of XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, and Windows 7 Ultimate. SQLitiening works on all of these without problems. Currently I use as server Win 7 Ultimate.

About the performance see this thread: http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php?topic=3153.0

Rolf

Just found the thread about mapped drive: http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php?topic=2987.msg15304#msg15304
I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food.
www.rbsoft.eu

Fred Meier

Networking is not my strong suite so some other people may want to jump in
with their experience. 

When you say Windows Workgroup network I assume you are referring to a
local area network (LAN) where each user maps a drive letter to the shared
drive and/or folders.  If that is the case then I would recommend you
first try running each user in local mode.  I agree with Rolf that there
is a security consideration since the user has raw access to the database
file.  We have a LAN with approx 50 users accessing SQLitening this way
with no problems. 

I would recommend you try running straight local mode(mapped drive) and
then try running true remote mode(only one service running on a single
server) and pick the one that works best for you considering speed,
security, etc. 

John Lever

Dear Rolf and Fred,

Thanks for the help Rolf and Fred.

I am just using a simple network setup with the 'SETUP HOME OR SMALL BUSINESS NETWORK' wizard in XP - and have just shared 1 folder - I have no router connected to the network - just 2 PCs connected with an ethernet cable. I hope this answers your question Fred.

So does this stop me using a static IP adr. Rolf (your prefered method for communication) - or can I setup a static IP adr. safely and which will not clash (just in case a router is ever connected to my network in future) - if so how?

In case I want to connect to other computer via a router in future - how do I find the static IP adr. of a router - do they always have one (you would think the number of sataic IP addresses  would run out worldwide ?).

Best Regards,
John

Rolf Brandt

Those static ip adresses I mentioned are something you would get from your internet provider or organisations like No-Ip.com, DynDns, etc. With them you can connect to your local computer or LAN anytime without knowing its real dynamic ip adress. The nice thing is they work inside the LAN too if a router is connected.

Even without a router you can connect to your server via internet, but SQLitening has to run on the computer that has the direct interet connection.

Without router or if your computer is not connected to the internet you could use the ip adress of the computer that works as SQLitening server, probably something like "192.168.xxx.xxx" or the name of the computer.

If you know the persons that will access the databases, or if it is just youself that has access, then a shared folder or mapped drive will be perfectly ok.

I just bring the safety considerations into play because of bad experiences. At one of my customer, a small taxi company with a small network (3 machines) they had layed off one of their dispatchers. On his last day of work just before he left he deleted all of their databases. They had neglected backups.  End of story! Fortunately he was not the brightest user, and when I turned up there I found the files in the bin. In real client/server mode the files are safe.

Rolf
I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food.
www.rbsoft.eu

Marty Francom

I am new to using SQLiteng/SQLite.  Currently just use it in local mode.   If I want to setup a LAN and run in client/server mode:
What files go on the server and what files go on each users workstation?

Fred Meier

From ReadMe.Txt...........

***  On Server ***
SQLite3.Dll                The database engine from SQLite.  If running local then
                           it must be accessible on the client computer.  If running
                           remote then it must be accessible on the server computer.
SQLiteningServer.Cfg       The file used to configure the server.  See [Documentation of Sections and Entities] in file.
SQLiteningServer.Exe       The program that runs on the server as a service.
SQLiteningServerAdmin.Exe  The program that runs on the server.  Is used to install, start, stop,
                           and uninstall the service.
Zlib.Dll                   Contains the compression routines called by SQLiteningAuxRuts.Dll,
                           SQLiteningClient.Dll, and SQLiteningServer.Exe.  If running remote
                           or doing compression in local mode then it must be accessible on the
                           client computer.  If running remote then it must be accessible on the
                           server computer.

*** On Client ***

SQLitening.Dll             Contains the routines called by your application program.
                           It must be accessible on the client computer.
SQLiteningAuxRuts.Dll      Contains the compression and encryption routines called
                           by SQLitening.Dll.  It muse be accessible on the client
                           computer but only if your are compressing or encrypting.
SQLiteningClient.Dll       Contains the routines called by SQLitening.Dll to communicate
                           with the server.  It must be accessible on the client
                           computer but only if you are running in remote mode.  Not
                           used in local mode.
Zlib.Dll                   Contains the compression routines called by SQLiteningAuxRuts.Dll,
                           SQLiteningClient.Dll, and SQLiteningServer.Exe.  If running remote
                           or doing compression in local mode then it must be accessible on the
                           client computer.  If running remote then it must be accessible on the
                           server computer.

John Lever

Dear All,

Managed to use SQLITENING/SQLITE across a network using a network share folder - but cannot (as yet use slConnect to coonect). It is probably my lack of networking knowledge that is stopping this ie some WINDOWS network setup constraint which I not aware of - but discussion of the SQLITENINGserver.cfg also makes me wonder if I have missed anything here.Specifically in order to use remote working do you need to list the name of the computer  running the SQLITENINGserver in the line containing LocalHost ? Hopefully to keep it simple I do not need to setup anything in the FACT table in the .cfg file - to keep it simple.

I am getting error -16 (failure to connect at TCP level) - which seems pretty basic in networking terms - the strange thing is can see files and the computer names  on both computers connected across the network in WINDOWS NETWORK share folders (and can use databases in these network share areas). But the LAN connection status (standard Microsoft stuff) says I have no limited or no connection and this information is reinforced when I try to use slConnect with the computer name of the computer running the SQLITENINGserver.

Best Regards,
John

John Lever

Dear All,

Just thought I would let you know - after a day or so struggling to get  SQLITENING working in remote mode - I have now done it. The answer was to edit the SQLITENINGserver.cfg file and replace 'LocalHost' with the name of PC (computer) on which I am running SQLITENINGserver.

I hope this helps someone - so the problem was my incomplete understanding of the use of the SQLITENINGserver.cfg file - nothing to do with network setup at all.

Best Regards,
John Lever

Fred Meier

Good for you!   It's always best when you solve it yourself.

There are other settings in the .Cfg that you may want to become familiar with.