• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

October 21, 2019, 02:19:11 am

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

Limit The Number Of Client Computers

Started by Fredrick Ughimi, June 17, 2012, 09:39:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredrick Ughimi

Hello,

With SQLitening is it possible to limit the number of Client Computers connected to the Server Computer (SQLiteningServer)?
Fredrick O. Ughimi<br /><br />fughimi@gmail.com<br />- Freedom lies in being bold -- Robert Frost, Poet

Fredrick Ughimi

No response? I guess not possible.

Could be a request for the next update.
Fredrick O. Ughimi<br /><br />fughimi@gmail.com<br />- Freedom lies in being bold -- Robert Frost, Poet

Fred Meier

There is no way presently to have the server limit the number of connections.  This would be something that could be added to next release, if there is enough interest (don't want to bloat it if not needed).  Please tell me if you would use this feature --- vote here, Yes or No.

There is a way to do it at each client.  I will work up some sample code and post it.

Fred Meier

This tested code will check the number of current connections.  If there are more than 5 then will disconnect and put message.
The slGetStatus(2) will cause another trip to the server.
  slConnect
   if parsecount(slGetStatus(2), $VT) >  5 then

' Too many connections so disconnect and end program
      slDisconnect
      msgbox "Too many connections"

else

' OK to run program

end if

Paul Squires

That's cool Fred. I can see this as being a useful feature. Limiting the number of connections would be important for applications that are sold based on number of users.

Fredrick Ughimi

Thanks Fred,

I think this feature is important. This would prevent clients from cheating. You know what I mean.

D. Wilson

One of the things I like about SQLitening is the fact that you do not have to setup user to access the system. I would not like to have to setup each user so that they can access the database. Then you get into issues like user passwords and the dealing with changes in logins and passwords.Also code would have to be changed to send the user id,password to the server. If we are just limiting it to 'x' number of users then I don't see a problem. But if we are talking about creating a system for user administration. I think we need to weigh the code overhead  versus the advantages.

I like to keep things simple -- and SQLitening has proven to be a extremely reliable server my needs.

On a side note -- I want the thank the creators of SQLitening and the users who contribute to forum. This project has helped me greatly in my programming endeavors.

Rolf Brandt

I agree to D. Wilson.

For me Fred's code snippet seems to be sufficient. On the other hand if this could be handled on the server side with just one entry in the config file (maxusers=10) or something similar it won't be bad either. That probably could be achieved with a few lines of code in the server. But since am not writing software for big administrations and the number of users at my customers is usually limited to 5 to 10 I can live without it.

QuoteI like to keep things simple -- and SQLitening has proven to be a extremely reliable server my needs.

Yes, yes, and again yes - extremely reliable is the word for it. Besides LAN solutions I am using SQLitening for six of my customer as a web solution for some time now. (Windows 2008 Web Server on a Virtual Server, connection via DSL) Absolutely no performance problems. Runs like a charm.

In the 60's Volkswagen had a commercial for the Beetle. It read "IT RUNS, AND RUNS, AND RUNS; AND RUNS, ...". Very fitting for SQLitening too!

Rolf
I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food.
www.rbsoft.eu

Fred Meier

Thank you all for your responses.  I will add this feature to the next release.  I agree with D Wilson, don't want to have to setup users.  It will be implemented with a simple Config file entry (Rolf's suggestion).  If the max number of connections is exceeded then the slConnect will return an new error code.

Rolf Brandt

I like to cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food.
www.rbsoft.eu

D. Wilson

Sounds like a great solution. Thanks for taking the user opinions in mind before implementing program changes.

Fredrick Ughimi

June 21, 2012, 10:04:19 pm #11 Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:22:52 pm by Fredrick Ughimi
Hello,

...If the max number of connections is exceeded then the slConnect will return an new error code.

That would be great. That was my request.

...don't want to have to setup users.

This wasn't my request.

I have always setup uses at my the front end. Works great for me over the years and I would not want to change it. I only wanted a way to be able to have control over the number of connections (clients) to the server. Not setting up users. I think they are two different things.