• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

August 26, 2019, 12:07:47 am

News:

Welcome to the SQLitening support forums!

SQLitening Server in a 64bit world

Started by James Klutho, July 28, 2014, 03:01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

James Klutho

July 28, 2014, 03:01:20 pm Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:48:19 pm by James Klutho
I was think about using the 32bit SQLitening Server in a project of mine.  I'm not sure how many companies today will allow a 32bit app on their server.  Is this app already obselete?  My company would be very reluctant to load a 32 bit app on the server - I asked this morning.  Anyone with thoughts on this?

cj

July 28, 2014, 08:10:51 pm #1 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:26:31 pm by cj
Curious, what is wrong with 32-bit software when it runs on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems?
64-bit world?  Most software is 32-bit.

Even Microsoft recommends 32-bit office over 64-bit.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-office-HA102840825.aspx

James Klutho

Windows servers are becoming 64 bit only -No WoW64.  Client software will be 32 bit probably for some time with WoW64.

cj

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pbforums/showthread.php?t=55309  Jul 29, 2014

Hello all,

In reading these posts, I want to assure that there will be a 64 bit compiler. As to the release date, I cannot divulge.

As to Microsoft discontinuing 32 bit support, where it will happen, it will not be any time soon. You WILL however see them force apps into 64bit in the meantime, well before the need for 64bit is real. i.e. in the form of dlls and such communicating with other M$ products. This is their way of strong-arming developers.

From a tech standpoint, with the increased popularity of ARM processors, and phones and tablets, watches, glasses, etc..... 64bit is cumbersome. Fatty and slower. Period.

How many developers right now require access to more than 2.2GB data cap of 32bit? or file size? Where there definitely is a place for these apps, what is that advantage of having MS Word in 64bit? I can easier see Excel in that need, but it is still hard to see how repository and data managers can't keep under the 2,147,483,647 (two billion one hundred forty-seven million four hundred eighty-three thousand six hundred forty-seven) fields.

I realize I am being a bit obtuse, and really don't wish to get into the debate of 32 or 64bit. But from my view, advancing tech this way is creating a bottleneck that only can be fixed by bigger/more expensive tech and equipment.

As I did not want to start the debate.. although I just dropped a bomb  (or in Zale-ese) We will have a 64bit compiler in spite of my feelings of M$ being in bed with BIG-Tech....